What goes around, comes around, they say, and it’s true in the tight-knit community of Ester, where community volunteerism, frequent potlucks, and impromptu music jams (as well as planned festivals) are the norm. Your contribution to the library, whether financial, in-kind, a letter of support, or through your volunteer time, will keep the John Trigg Ester Library going around, and we thank you.
As of March 6, 2017, we have adopted a Donor’s Bill of Rights, which is as follows:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing JTEL will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share (we do not share our mailing lists with anyone).
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Unless your donation states otherwise, all donations will go towards general operating funds, to be used for the maintenance and operation of current JTEL buildings and properties. Here are a few of the ways you can contribute to the JTEL:
- Donate Online by making a one-time donation or set up a recurring donation (monthly and yearly automatic payments are available).
- Donate by mail Make checks payable to John Trigg Ester Library and mail them to PO Box 468, Ester AK 99725.
- Donate at the current library – A donation and membership box is set up at Frank’s Place, and once the Clausen Cabin is open, there will be one there as well.
- Sign up at AmazonSmile: Sign up under JTEL and when making any purchase through Amazon’s subsidiary website, AmazonSmile, 0.5% of your purchase will go towards JTEL.
- Sign up at Fred Meyer’s Community Rewards Fund: Sign up under JTEL, #89428, and every time you shop at Freddy’s, they’ll donate to us. And this will not impact your personal rewards points, either!
- Write a letter of support: The JTEL writes to agencies such as the legislature and various charitable foundations for grants, and your letters of support help to show that the community believes in us. Please send us your letters, or you can review the list of talking points on letters to your legislator.
- Buy a cookbook: The Throwdown Cookbook! is filled with mouthwatering recipes for pies from the LiBerry Music Festivals from 2007 on. Our first run sold out, but now we have recipes from 2013 through 2016!
- Buy a name plate: a metal plate that will be affixed to a bookshelf, thereby dedicating that shelf to the person of your choice. Plates are $50 and funds are reserved for the capital campaign. Please let us know if you want it associated with a particular author or section, and we will try to attach it nearby.
- PickClickGive: Please consider donating to JTEL when you sign up for your annual Permanent Fund Dividend.
- Volunteer there are many ways to help JTEL including construction labor, gardening, fundraising, or serving on one of our committees or the board of directors.
- Donate Office Supplies Materials needed for the library include blank library cards, card pockets (preferably with sticky backing), Avery 5160 inkjet printer labels, pens, envelopes, heavy-duty clear wide bookbinding tape, double-stick tape, and glue sticks. We can also use sundry office supplies such as 8.5″ x 11″ 20# white xerox/printer paper, tape, a stapler, the odd light bulb (LED bulbs, please), etc.
- Donate Building Supplies We’ll need materials! Everything required to build a building, from screws to wiring to concrete.
- Donate Book Credits One way to donate to the library is to provide us with funds so that we can buy books of the librarians’ choosing. Gulliver’s Books will take your used books and apply the credit to the Ester library’s used book credit account, if you ask them to when you bring in your old books. That way we can purchase books for series missing volumes, or books requested by the membership.
- Donate Books Right now, we just don’t have room to take any more books. So please, if you have books you think would be good for the library, hang on to them for a little while longer, until we have our new building and more shelves to put them all on! Thank you!
The JTEL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity. Donations to the JTEL are tax-deductible as allowed by law under IRS Code Section 170. Your donation to the library, whether of time or money, will give back to the community many times over.
Our EIN# is 27-1297959 and our Alaska State Entity # is 126504.