JTEL Board of Directors Meeting 5/12/2010
Call to Order: 7:15 pm
Roll Call: Greta Burkart, Eric Glos, Melinda Harris, Deirdre Helfferich, Monique Musick, Margaret Rogers
Minutes: Read from April 14 meeting
MOTION: Accept minutes
- Website: new updates, updated friends of library site
- Up to 201 Facebook fans
- e-mail list for library has 63 members
- Library blog- added events and new titles, news and announcements. E-mailed blog access to board
- Created e-mail list for Board: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asked Merideth Cameron if we need to advocate for library funding: YES. Solicited support via e-mail and facebook- provided links with info. Parnell interested in job creation projects as a criteria. Prouty spoke up for us in session; a few people replied saying they’ve sent in support. If you haven’t written please do. Checking on status daily- no news.
- Library lecture- delayed, low turn-out, Hans gave library tour. No May lecture. Need to expand lecture series: Cris Lott- “copyleft” open source for intellectual property. Suggestions for topics welcome. Lecture Series info and contact, More help gathering lectures
- Topographic survey- Hans and Jeff Martt- for FREE. Stutzman Engineering and Survey donated equipment and time
- Fire Marshall- $1775.14 fee for fire marshall review, Additional fee for fire alarm equipment; Approval can happen about a month after submission, Good for 6 months to start to build; Another 6 month extension possible before having to re-file. Once submitted we are committed
- Collection development policy- based on Paul Adasiak’s Master’s project- underway, Will adapt to JTEL’s- incorporate Gulliver’s etc.
- Deridre working on database, Developing form letter for donations and thank yous
Vice President’s Report:
- Not here last meeting; One new quote in e-mail, Still gathering more. Businesses are reluctant because they don’t know who we are, Wasn’t ready with all info.
- $87.76 deposited - $50 from Lallapalooza – $27.76 donations – $10 memberships.
- $100 to ECA $25 hall
- Savings $19602.89
- Checking $325.30
- Gullivers $293.35
- Started 1023 Application for non-profit. Sounds like we need a fact sheet for cold calls of all sorts- will do!
- Village road is on our property. Great detail on land-topography. 6.5 hours creating this, Must-have for site design. Finish floor elevation. Going to compare site plan to topo map - tweak to make it work
- 24’ to permafrost - mostly tailings. Scrape down, fill, typar etc. for driveway. Want paved, maybe D-1, for driveway. We need a culvert
- Counts as an owner-supplied survey. Law requires site survey not topo- this is for design- OK it’s not “official”. Approx. $10,000 value of survey donated- real nice thank you in order. Perhaps give them a shelf dedication? We can now do driveway and civil site design
Design packet to fire marshall (Guest Gary Pohl):
- Fire marshall has the packet. Shared letter with board.$1775.14 fee for fire marshall review. Told them to hold off until we approve cost
- What is the definition of construction? We need to know first. Plan review still valid 6 months after approval, extension six months after. Need to hold off for now.
- Where are we financially? Earmarks not yet identified. Capital budget not yet on Parnell’s desk. Federal earmark wasn’t tried before- $1.7 million.
- With 19,000 in the bank and our big fundraiser “Li-Berry” still to come, we can start this fall if groundwork consists of starting- but not enough to build this year. Fed fiscal year begins October 1
- Option- part of fire marshall review means we are serious- it is a marketing move
- Don’t get full review- get preliminary review that doesn’t start the clock
- Gary will look into provisional review
- Cultural landscape is a good grant buzz word
- National Park Service- preserve
- Don’t let places get overrun
- Make part of the mission of the library cultural preservation, history
- Also sustainability- tie in with economy of Ester
- Add in a tourism element
- Operational budget still unclear. Seasonal heating costs and other cost-reductions. Explain how we are creating jobs
- Monique didn’t do this yet. Please send the contact info I’ll get it done
- Nothing to report this time- minor changes only
Lallapalooza thank you letters, donor database:
Alaska legislative appropriation:
- Not on the governor's desk yet
US Senate appropriation:
Nonprofit application progress:
- Non-profits not filing 990 is in the news. File a 990 by May 17
- Bring on an actual accountant: Need our ducks in a row. Makes us look responsible and a better bet for donations/grants. Ask Buena Buchanan, CPA, for volunteer services, or Jean Davies. Keep on radar, but right now not necessary
- Began filling the 1023 application, Draft of narratives
MOTION: Deadline of the July meeting for the first draft of sections for 501(c)(3) application and a clear idea of what is needed for any incomplete sections.
Discussion: bring up questions in June- Agenda item
Gazebo construction 2010:
- Set up a work party date- two weeks notice- with project list
- Center pole removed
- Bulletin board
- Artist competition
- Antique tin
- Stepping stones
- Benches- artsy
MOTION: Set up work party with list of needed projects and materials
Collections development policy:
- Process for suggesting titles
- Have some storage space
- “We do not yet have the new library building and our current library is at capacity. We are grateful for your donation. It would be best to wait until we have a building. If not, we will take your donation, sort through and get rid of duplicates via E.P.O. or Literacy Council, or we keep them in cold storage.”
- Getting books is easy- developing a collection is not
- Letter to Guttenberg and Thomas: Create a thank you for their support
MOTION: Send a thank you letter to Thomas and Guttenberg
MOTION: Thank you to Jeff Martt and Stutzmenn Engineering for the use of their equipment and time for topographic survey. Dedicate a shelf to them.
Margaret- please send Monique the contact info for letter- date of survey April 25
MOTION: Thank you to Hans Mölders for all his work and dedicate a shelf to Hans Mölders.
ACTION: Approved (Deirdre abstained)
- Special meeting for bylaw changes:
- Request for special meeting made April 28- need to schedule a meeting within 30 days
- June 27 6 pm to 7 pm Special Meeting of Members to officially change Bylaws
- Library lecture: None this month- next in June TBA
- Li Berry Festival: tabled until next month
Next meeting: June 9, 2010