To contact the full board, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently serving on the JTEL Board of Directors:
- Syrilyn Tong, 2015-2017 (president)
- Monique Musick, 2015-2017 (vice president)
- Mindy Gallagher, (2015-2017) (treasurer)
- Amanda Bent, 2015-2017 (secretary)
MEMBERS & ALTERNATES
- Carrie Correia, 2016-2018
- Marina Day, 2016-2018
- Gary Pohl, 2015-2017 (Grants & Facilities Chair)
- James Rogan, 2015-2017
- Eli Sonafrank, 2016-2018
The JTEL board has nine members: seven regular members and two alternates, who are elected to volunteer positions at the library’s annual meeting. As required by state law, there are four officers: the president, vice-president, treasurer, and secretary. In addition to the officers, there are three committee chairs: a finance chair, a grants chair, and a facilities chair. Programs and membership, fundraising, and outreach positions are also assigned, usually to volunteers or alternates. The board meets once a month on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 pm, usually for an hour and a half, at the JTEL office at the Clausen Cabin at 3629 Main Street in Ester. Much of the work of the board is conducted on line. Term of service is two years, with staggered terms. Officers serve for one year. The majority of the board must live in the Ester Fire Service District. More information on the board’s conduct and past decisions is available in the bylaws and in the meeting minutes. The public and especially the membership are welcome to attend.
Note: Please contact the board if you are interested in serving your community by participating more actively with the library.
Duties include advocacy and fundraising (fundraisers, grant applications, capital campaign), acting as ambassador for the library, managing the business of the corporation, maintaining the collections and operating the library, Ruth Jasper Room, and gazebo, running a lecture series and organizing events, maintaining an online presence and providing resources to members, publicity, and so on. For the near future there will also be decision making on design and construction, and overseeing the construction of the new library. See more detail at the BOD Roles & Responsibilities page, the Prospective/New Board Member page and the links to the duties of the board and officer positions in the bylaws and policies pages.
Board members serve on committees in addition to their regular work on the board, according to their skills and interests. These include standing and ad hoc committees: Collections, Construction, Facilities, Finance, Fundraising (all members of the board), Grants, Marketing, Programs & Events, Membership & Volunteers. Other committees are formed as needed (ad-hoc committees for particular events, for example).
Board members are expected to be active supporters, advocates, and volunteers for the Ester library. They should be people interested in reading and literacy and with plenty of community spirit, but they don’t need any training in library sciences. Serving on the board is an excellent opportunity to learn about nonprofits and how to run them—useful knowledge for later endeavors. Board work is public service, and brings with it the satisfaction of knowing that you are doing a good thing for yourself, for your neighbors, and for the community.
Past board members
- Bill Ackiss (2013-2014)
- Sine Anahita (2013) secretary
- Ken Bluhm (2010-2012)
- Nancy Burnham (2009-2011, 2011-2013) treasurer
- Greta Burkart (2009-2012)
- Amy Cameron (2010-2011)
- Chris Campbell (2015-2016)
- Roy Earnest (2010-2012)
- Rena Flint (2012-2013)
- Eric Glos (2009-2011) vice president
- Melinda Harris (2009-2012) vice president
- Carla Helfferich (2012-2014) pro tem secretary
- Deirdre Helfferich (2009-2011) president (2011-2012, 2012-2013) vice president (2013-2015) president
- Bob Huebert (2010)
- Connie Huffman (2013-2015) treasurer
- Varpu Lotvonen (2014, 2014-2015)
- Hans Mölders (2014, 2014-2015)
- Monique Musick (2009-2011) secretary (2011-2013) president
- Janis Ohmstede (2011-2013) secretary
- Hal Osborne (2015-2016) alternate
- Susan Osborne (2015-2016) treasurer
- Molly Rettig (2011-2013)
- James Rogan, (2013-2015) vice president, secretary
- Margaret Rogers (2009-2010) treasurer
- Phil Rulon (2013-2015), (2015-2016) president
- Trey Simmons (2011-2012, 2012-2014) alternate
- Jasmine Stokes (2015-2016)
- Kayt Sunwood (2012-2013)
- Eric Zentner (2014-2015) secretary