A bit of foot-stompin’ music for a good cause cheers a body up, and the Tape and Tarp Ball is just the thing for having a bit of goofy Alaska fun. This year’s costume ball featured the band Cotton Ginny and was held at the world-famous Malemute Saloon! Vote for your favorite costume, or create your own ball attire from tarps, visqueen, or lots of duct tape and join the spectacle! You’ll have the opportunity to win fabulous prizes for your costume (bring your friends to stuff the ballot box: one $ = one vote)! And you’ll have lots of good silly fun while supporting the John Trigg Ester Library!
All funds raised go to benefit the John Trigg Ester Library! Winners from 2015 included Faustine Bernadae in third place, in a frilly and elegant ’20s flapper evening dress; Lisa Baraff in second place, as an Aztec Goose Queen; and John Hartley in first place, as Lady Liberty. To read more about the 2016 event, see here.
When and where: The Malemute Saloon, Ester, 7–10 pm, July 30
Cover charge: $15 w/o a costume, $10 with; additional donations gratefully accepted!
Sales items & library memberships: library t-shirts ($15-$20), library memberships ($10), and bookshelf dedications ($50) also available. (T-shirts by Nomadic Stars, offering water-based eco-friendly screen printing, created right here in Fairbanks.)
Door prizes! Entrants in the costume contest are automatically eligible for door prizes. Must be present to win.
Auction! This year we are having a silent auction, featuring prizes and gift baskets donated by local businesses and individuals.
The following businesses and individuals generously donated prizes for the costume contest and auction: Dreamworks, Ester Hatworks, Gold Hill Liquor & Gas, Judie Gumm Designs, Deb Koons, Ursa Major, and Water Wagon. Sound Solutions, LLC of Ester provided sound support for the band. Please support your local economy and the generosity of your Ester-area businesspeople. Thank you!
- Materials include duct tape, packing tape, visqueen, tarp, plastic bags of all weights and types, Ty-vek, or similar Alaska construction “fabrics.” Recycled materials and accents are encouraged.
- Costume must be made by contest participant
- Regular clothing may be used as a form or base.
- Contestants must register and receive a number.
- Costume theme is primarily literary allusion, but ballroom attire or other variants are welcome. Use your imagination!
Costume awards will be by People’s Choice:
- vote by dollars!
- vote for yourself if you like!
- vote as many times as you like!
- vote early and vote often!
- voting starts at 7 and ends at 10—so don’t get there too fashionably late.
Volunteers with clipboards will be standing by the ballot boxes to note the number of votes and the candidate of your choice. At the end of the evening, the votes will be tallied and prizes awarded, along with a short runway walk that will include the runners-up.
- Tape & Tarp Ball from previous years: 2013, 2014, 2015
- Iowa State University Duct Tape Fashion Show
- Haute Trash
- Literary Costumes
- Stuck at Prom
Many thanks go to our volunteers, without whom the 2016 Tape & Tarp Ball could not be accomplished: Amanda Bent, Gail & Brian Feeney, Mindy Gallagher, Joseph N. Hall, Deirdre Helfferich, Hans Mölders, Monique Musick, James Rogan, Jamie Smith, Syrilyn Tong, and to everyone else who is getting the word out!